Whether you’ve been grilling through the winter or have had your Hōmdoor stored away until the warmer weather hits, it’s important to keep up with regular maintenance so your tandoori grill remains in top working condition. Thanks to Hōmdoor’s unparalleled tandoori grill design, our tandoor ovens are fairly easy to maintain. Discover all you need to do to enjoy a stress-free grill season ahead by following the tandoori grill maintenance tips below!
Top 3 Tandoori Grill Maintenance Tips
1. Cleaning Your Tandoor
Your tandoor has many different components, each of which should be kept clean in order to ensure your grill will last for years to come. The following are just some of the parts that are most important to clean on your tandoori grill:
- Burner: Using a bristle brush, gently scrape away any debris that may have accumulated around your burner at least twice annually. Be sure that all burner ports are clear and replace any damaged ports or burners that have been corroded or cracked during cleaning.
- Ignitor: In addition to the burner, you should also use a wire brush to clean the ignitor and remove any grease or rust. Replace the ignitor if you notice any cracking or physical damage.
- Exterior: Using a kitchen disinfectant or wet cloth, clean the surface of your tandoor to remove all food particles, grease, and debris before using. This will help you avoid permanently staining your tandoor.
2. Fixing Clay Cracks
Since our tandoori grills are created from fully fired terra cotta, they feature superior strength and resilience when compared to other tandoor ovens. Still, all clay-based ovens run the risk of cracking over time. If you notice that your tandoor has started cracking, follow the steps below to fix the problem before it spreads:
- Step One: Using Heat Stop brand refractory mortar, fill in any cracks you see in the clay portions of your tandoor oven.
- Step Two: Apply a thin coat of the Heat Stop mortar, covering any cracks you see.
- Step Three: Using a damp sponge, seal up the mortar for the full interior of the clay pot.
3. Covering Your Grill
One of the best ways to protect your tandoor is by keeping it covered when it’s not in use. When selecting the ideal cover for your tandoor, be sure to choose one that is:
- Water Resistant: It’s important that the cover you choose is able to actively repel water to prevent moisture build-up that can lead to mold and mildew growth beneath the cover.
- Highly Durable: Your grill cover should be able to withstand the outdoor elements easily, offering maximum protection season after season.
- Easily Breathable: The grill cover should not trap moisture or debris inside, but instead be as breathable as possible for easy application and removal.
By investing in a proper grill cover for your tandoor, you’ll be able to keep it in the best condition possible for years to come!
Stock Up on Your Grill Maintenance Goodies!
Before you break out the BBQ gear this year, make sure you take the time to properly maintain your tandoor by stocking up on all the grill-side goodies you need to keep your oven in the best condition. Hōmdoor has plenty of residential tandoor accessories perfect for keeping your grill in tip-top shape, including our Weathermax 1000 Denier Fabric Cover. We even have replacement propane gas and natural gas burners for when your components become too corroded to keep in place. Find the grilling accessories you need by shopping online today!