Learn All About Our Stainless-Steel Grills Made in the USA
At Hōmdoor, our aim is to offer the highest-quality grilling experience possible with every tandoori oven we create. In this blog, we discuss all the different reasons why Hōmdoor is the superior grill choice, including:
- The story behind our founding
- The materials used to create our tandoori grills
- The different features included in our tandoor ovens
- The different types of grill options we offer
Choosing to purchase a new grill is a big decision and one that should not be made without first doing thorough research. Whether you’ve toyed with the tandoor idea before or are considering purchasing a tandoori grill for the first time, it’s important to choose a brand that doesn’t sacrifice quality, authenticity, or durability.
At Hōmdoor, our deep roots both as pottery experts and Indian cooking enthusiasts have allowed us to create an entirely new take on the timeless art of tandoori grilling. Through our careful selection of the highest-quality materials, we ensure a cooking experience that’s equal parts authentic and enduring!
Who is Hōmdoor, Anyway?
Originally imagined and designed by founder Ron Levy, Hōmdoor’s clay ovens were the first handcrafted tandoors to be offered to commercial kitchens in the country. Levy began crafting tandoori ovens in the late 70’s for restaurants in New York City. As his popularity grew as a small-time tandoor oven manufacturer, so too did his entrepreneurial and innovative spirit.
Soon, Levy ventured to bring modern ceramic technology to his tandoors, developing the highest-quality clay ovens capable of producing the most authentic tandoori flavor. Seeking to bring the joys of tandoori cooking to kitchens all over the country, Levy soon expanded his vision to include both residential and commercial tandoor ovens.
As the popularity of at-home Indian cooking grew, Levy knew he would no longer be able to handcraft each individual clay oven on his own. He needed to partner with a clay manufacturer, so he turned to the team at Superior Clay. In business for over a century, Superior Clay’s highly-skilled craftsmen were uniquely positioned to not only adhere to Levy’s strict specifications and quality standards but also to fabricate each tandoor using only the highest quality, locally sourced materials.
What Materials are Used to Create Hōmdoor Tandoori Grills?
The exact recipe for Hōmdoor’s incredibly durable clay ovens remains a proprietary secret. However, we can confirm that Superior Clay sources all of its materials right here in the United States. In fact, 99% of the clay materials used to create our tandoor ovens are sourced from within a few miles of Superior Clay’s headquarters in Ohio. A dramatic improvement from the days of straw- and animal-hair-strengthened tandoors, the heat-resistant clay we use ensures far superior durability when compared to the tandoori grills of our ancient ancestors.
Hōmdoor’s tandoori ovens are also insulated in an outside layer of high-tech, cast-on insulation, which helps regulate the internal temperature for a consistent, flawless cook. Finished in stainless steel, these grills are built to last the long term.
What Features are Included in a Tandoor Oven?
Each tandoori grill that Hōmdoor crafts is thoughtfully designed to include a number of unique features meant to enhance the cooking experience. These include:
- 13” Opening: The 13” mouth opening at the top of each residential tandoor makes slapping naan on its interior hot walls as easy as can be.
- Utility Handles: With convenient handles on either side, you can enjoy easy access to all of your bread tools, skewers, and other grilling accessories.
- Stainless Steel: Our stainless-steel models are finished with the highest-quality kitchen-grade stainless-steel exterior for easy cleanup and long-lasting durability.
- Comfortable Height: At 32” high, our tandoor ovens don’t require you to bend over to tend to your food as you cook.
- Adjustable Vent: The adjustable vent door gives you greater temperature while grilling so you can always achieve the perfect cook.
- Rubber Wheels: Our tandoors feature two 10” hard rubber wheels capable of facilitating greater mobility and withstanding the toughest outdoor elements.
- Swivel Caster: Added for increased safety and stability, the front swivel caster and brake lock helps keep your tandoor securely in place while cooking.
In addition to the features included with most residential tandoors, we manufacture many grilling accessories that help make tandoori cooking that much easier and more enjoyable. Our infrared laser heat thermometer, for instance, allows you to pinpoint the precise temperature of your tandoor to ensure all of your meals turn out perfectly cooked. Likewise, our gaddi pads allow you to easily slap on and remove naan bread from the interior walls of your tandoor.
Different Types of Tandoori Grills That Hōmdoor Offers
When it comes to variety, our tandoori grilling options never disappoint. We offer a broad range of tandoor ovens suitable for just about any home chef or restaurant owner, including:
- Charcoal Tandoors: Available in both residential and commercial configurations, our charcoal tandoors offer unparalleled authenticity in every meal.
- Propane Tandoors: Our commercial and residential propane tandoors make controlling the internal temperature of your grill a breeze and are the preferred grill by most beginner tandoori cooks.
- Natural Gas Tandoors: Perfect for those with a natural gas line outdoors, the natural gas tandoors are a great option for any home chef or commercial restaurant owner.
- Custom Install Tandoors: Along with our stainless-steel grills, we offer custom install tandoor options for those looking to build their own tandoori fire pit experience.
Bring Home Your Tandoor Today!
If we haven’t convinced you by now that Hōmdoor is the best option for at-home tandoori grilling, then you’ll just need to experience it for yourself. Shop our full range of stainless-steel tandoor grills online and bring the authentic flavor of true tandoori cuisine to your backyard today!